In soldering of metals, flux serves a threefold purpose: it removes any oxidized metal from the surfaces to be soldered, seals out air thus preventing further oxidation, and by facilitating amalgamation improves wetting characteristics of the liquid solder.
Major Inhalation Irritant
Dusts, mists or vapors, may cause severe irritation to upper respiratory tract. Severe
exposure may cause pulmonary edema. Metal fume fever may result from inhaling zinc oxide,
which is a possible decomposition product at high temperatures.
Major Ingestion Irritant
If ingested, flux is corrosive to mouth and throat. Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea and
vomiting. Gross overexposure may be fatal.
Minor Eye Irritant
Solutions may cause eye damage. Symptoms may include irritation with
discomfort, tearing, blurring of vision or redness. May cause severe cornea injury and result in
permanent impairment of vision or even blindness.
Minor Skin Irritant
May cause skin irritation with discomfort and/or rash.
Things to Avoid
- Absolutely no food and drink allowed when using flux.
- Do not touch your face when soldering.
- Do not lean over the area being soldered or directly inhale fumes.
- Ensure the fume extractor or fume hood is operating as expected before engaging in long sessions of soldering.
- Ensure your environment is free of obstructions.
- Close flux bottle after every use.
- Rinse surfaces that have made contact with flux with soap and water.